Overview


1958: Original Ford Foundry building from 1950s

2007: Additional service buildings were added later at the front and side of the site to the original building

The Foundry

This 20 acre site was acquired by Trilogy in November 2009 from Ford Motor Company, who had been in occupation since the 1930’s. Prior to this, part of the site had been an old foundry since the early 1800’s.

Ford vacated in 2007.

Demolition and decontamination of the entire site was completed in Spring 2012.

First Phase of construction for the food store and highways infrastructure will be completed by Easter 2013 and the remainder of the site will be developed for Employment and Warehouses over the next few years.

The triangle of disused land on the other side of the railway has been donated to a voluntary environmental group (ARC), who are creating Foundry Wood (foundrywood.co.uk).

Masterplan

The Foundary

The main pedestrian and cycleway have been designed to follow Old Warwick Road and Princes Drive. Set in landscaping, it connects to the Grand Union Canal to the south, the Railway Station to the east, Victoria Park to the north and Myton Road to the west.

A landmark  building which could reflect the importance of the site and Leamington Spa’s architectural character.

The foodstore includes a double height café on Old Warwick Road which will look out on to both the new offices and the Grand Union Canal.

Environmental Trust. A partnership has ben set up, including Trilogy and the Leamington Society with the aim to create a sustainable urban woodland. Plans to be agreed by Warwick Distric Council.

The new buildings should be visible from the roundabout and will not only create a gateway arrival but also sit comfortably within the wider parkland masterplan. They will relate to the Grand Union Canal to the south and Victoria Park to the north.

The three defining design principles:

1)  Create buildings which acts as a distinctive urban marker for the site, addressing this gateway point to the town centre and to the new development as a whole
2)  Design a landscape which links the four areas of land surrounding the roundabout (the canal side recreation ground, residential canal side, retail area and the new offices)
3)  Promote the idea of an attractive pedestrian and cycle route linking all crossings and surrounding destinations. So design the landscape setting around the pedestrian and not the car

Foodstore


The Foundry

The service area is screened with a rendered wall to tie in with the architectural expression of the building

The roof oversails on all four sides of the building

Clerestorey glazing directly under the floating roof creates a strong architectural expression and brings daylight into the building and allows good outside awareness for people within it

The roof folds up to a higher level over the entrance, café and staff mezzanine areas, creating greater external interest and dramatic double height space within these key parts of the building

It is clad with aluminium framed glazing, render and metal panelling. The key entrance and café corners are fully glazed creating a positive expression for the key views relating to this end of the building

The food store has been designed as an elegant pavilion building when viewed from all directions. The building has been set back from Old Warwick Road to present a better setting and to allow the tree-lined walkway/cycle way to run alongside.

The building projects out over a colonnade between the important entrance and café corners. This brings harmony with the office building which also has an important colonnade expression.

Ken Simms and Chris Bryan,
The Architects